Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Design Plan: Main Bathroom

Eric and I popped by our Builder's Design Center on the way home from running some errands today thinking the DC would be less busy than usual because of Father's Day (we celebrated with our families Saturday night). We were wrong... it was packed! We were hoping to make some firm choices today.. except I think I left more confused! We've picked most of the big items for our home, but we're still working on deciding on an appropriate budget and all the finishing touches.

One of the most difficult things to decide, in my opinion, is flooring (tiles to be specific). I've narrowed down the colour choices to white and grey and we will definitely stick with the included or level one tiles (for budget reasons) but I'm still having a tough time picturing what will look good in each space. We need tiles for the garage entrance, powder room, main bathroom and ensuite (we will be doing hardwood in the front entrance and kitchen)

Since the kitchen is pretty well planned, next to tackle is our main bathroom (or the "Future Kids' Bathroom" as Eric likes to call it). Since this bathroom won't get much use for a while, we're not going to invest too much money in upgrades. Below is the structural plan:


We will probably go all white in our ensuite, so I'd like to have a little fun with the main bath! I found this beautiful bathroom on Pinterest a year ago, and even though the cupboards are super dark (navy, i think?) the light grey floors/countertop/walls really brighten the space. I love the pops of pink as well!

Source: Studio McGee

Our Builder doesn't offer navy cabinets; so to get this look it was between a colour called "Soapstone" (included - light/medium blue grey) and "Caviar" (level 1 upgrade - black with maybe a slight blue undertone). Even though it's an upgrade, we are leaning toward the black. Due to the limited amount of cupboards in the bathroom, the cost to upgrade is only $61, so in the grand scheme of things, it's not too much money.

Below is my design plan, but chances are I will flip flop on the tiles a few times before we make the final decision.



Take care!